All students currently enrolled at Edgewood Middle School are academically eligible to participate in the athletic program. Students must maintain a passing grade in all classes while participating in any athletic program at Edgewood (team member, manager, or cheerleader). Grades will be checked every week during the athletic season. Failure to maintain a passing grade will result in the following:
- Level 1: Any student who receives one or more failing grades at the time grades are pulled will be given one week to raise the grade above failing. During this time students will still be able to participate in practice and games.
- Level 2: *Any student who has one or more failing grades 2 weeks in a row will be placed on a one week probation period consisting of five school days in which the athlete may practice, but will not participate in any games, events, or competitions scheduled during the probation period.
- Level 3: If the student raises the grade(s) to passing at any time during the probation period, he or she will then be eligible to participate fully in the athletic program. However, if a failing grade(s) has not been raised to passing, the student will then be placed on an additional one week probation period resulting in the following:
- The student is now ineligible to practice or participate in athletic events until the grade has been raised to passing.
- The student will attend practice with class materials to work on unfinished work or prepare for tests/quizzes.
- If a student has been at any level of probation for failing grades and allows their grades to fall to failing again, they will automatically be placed at level 3 of probation and will not be able to practice or participate in athletic events until the grade is raised.
- The coach, athletic director, or principal may impose academic probation at any time.
*If the student raises the grade(s) to passing at any time during the probation period, he or she will then be eligible to participate fully in the athletic program